Pre-Quiz 2 Question

Could someone help me with number 4 parts b and c on the Pre-Quiz 2? The question was: Let V denote the set of all polynomials with the usual algebraic notions.
Part b: Show that the set of all polynomials f of degree less than 100 satisfying f(0) = f(1) = 0 is a subspace of V.
Part c: Show that the set of all polynomials f of degree less than 100 satisfying f(0) = f(1) = 1 is not a subspace of V.
I think what I am mostly struggling with is forming the correct set for f in both of the parts. Thank you so much!

mark

Comments

• edited October 2019

By "forming the correct set", do you mean something like this description of the set of all polynomials of degree 100 or less:

$$\{a_{100} x^{100} + \cdots + a_1 x + a_0: a_{100},\ldots,a_1,a_0 \in \mathbb R\}?$$

If so, well, I wouldn't try! I just don't think you need a specific form for the polynomial to show, for example, that if $f(1)=g(1) = 0$, then $f(1)+g(1)=0$.

• Thank you so much! This helped a bunch and really cleared things up.

• edited October 2019

How did you get started with this? I know that the two things that have to shown for it to be a subspace are closure under scalar multiplication and closure under vector addition, but I'm stuck on how to show those without having a specific form for the polynomial.

Edit: Never mind, I looked at some examples in the textbook (namely Example SP4 on page 211) and I figured it out.